A new phase of overnight carriageway closures are to start this month as work on the new £192 million A556 Knutsford to Bowdon dual carriageway continues.
For the first time, a series of closures starting on Monday will affect the Knutsford end of the A556 – between Mere crossroads and the M6 – as well as the roundabout with the M6 at junction 19 which will be closed overnight for four weeks outside weekends.
Both the southbound and northbound A556 itself, between Mere crossroads and the roundabout, will also be closed overnight during the week until Friday 4 November, with the northbound middle section of the route, between Mere crossroads and Bucklow Hill, also closing nightly later in the month.
Meanwhile, work on new link roads between the A556 and M56 at the northern end of the project is continuing, with the new arrangements – tying into the existing A556 for the time being – set to be opened in December.
The full list of existing and forthcoming closures includes:
- Total, 9pm to 5am, overnight closures of the roundabout at junction 19 of the M6 nightly (excluding Saturday and Sunday nights) from Monday night (10 October) for 4 weeks – drivers on the northbound M6 will be able to leave at junction 19 but only to access the southbound A556 (for Northwich).
- Total, 9pm to 5am, nightly overnight closures (both carriageways, excluding Saturday and Sunday nights) of the A556 between Mere crossroads and the M6 until Friday 4 November
- The entry slip road onto the eastbound M56 at junction 7 will be closed from 9pm on Wednesday (12 October) to 5am on Thursday (13 October)
- Overnight, 9pm to 5am, closure of junction 8 of the M56 for 5 nights between and including Monday 17 October and Friday 21 October
- Overnight, 9pm to 5am, closure of the westbound exit slip road at junction 7 of the M56 for 5 nights between and including Monday 17 October and Friday 21 October
- Total, 9pm to 5am, closure of the northbound and southbound A556 between Bowdon and Bucklow Hill for 5 nights between and including Monday October 17 and Friday 21 October
- Overnight, 9pm to 5am, closure of the northbound A556 between Mere crossroads and Bucklow Hill for 5 nights between and including Monday 17 October and Friday 21 October
- For 3 weeks, between Monday 24 October and Friday 11 November (excluding Saturdays and Sundays) nightly, 9pm to 5am, closure of the M56 Junction 7 eastbound access slip road
- 2-way traffic lights in place (daytime, off-peak hours) along the A50 on Monday and Tuesday 17 and 18 October and Tuesday 25 October
- The exit slip road from the eastbound M56 at junction 7 remains closed for work to provide new link roads and a new roundabout at Bowdon
- Millington Lane, off the existing A556, remains closed around the clock until Friday 21 October (was Friday 11 November). Access maintained for local residents at all times.
- Closure of Chapel Lane for bridge alignment works between Monday 24 October into January for bridge and road alignment work
Drivers are advised to check traffic conditions before setting out on journeys while queues from the full closure clear. More information is available on the project webpage here.