Highways England has released details of forthcoming overnight junction and carriageway closures as it works to deliver the £192 million Knutsford to Bowdon link road between the M6 and M56.
The roadworks come into effect between 9pm and 5am, Monday to Friday, from Monday November 14th.
The eastbound exit slip road at Junction 7 of the M56 – which has been closed for several months – will continue to be closed around the clock until, potentially, early next month.
The roadworks in details:
- Overnight closure of the M6 junction 19 roundabout at Knutsford and the northbound and southbound A556 between the roundabout and Mere crossroads until Friday 23 December
- Overnight closure of the northbound A556 from Bucklow Hill to Bowdon on Wednesday 9, Thursday 10 and Friday 11 November for erection of a new electronic messaging sign
- Closure of the M56 Junction 8 entry slip road and junction 7 westbound exit slip road closed from Monday 14 November until Friday 23 December
- Overnight closure of the southbound A556 from Bowdon roundabout to Bucklow Hill from Monday 14 November until Friday 23 December
- Continued round-the-clock closure of M56 junction 7 eastbound exit slip road until later this month or early December – but a series of junction 7 overnight eastbound entry slip road closures to be completed by 5am on Saturday 12 November
- Daytime off-peak traffic lights will also be in place along the A50 from Monday 7 November until Friday 18 November. The closure of Chapel Lane for road realignment works will continue into January.
There’s still a chance the schedule could be affected by bad weather.
Closures of the M56 junction 7 westbound exit slip road, southbound A556 and M6 junction 19 roundabout, will be delayed until 3 hours after the final whistle of Manchester United and Manchester City week night home matches.
Construction of the new A556 link road, between the M56 and the M6, started in November 2014 and is due for completion in spring next year.
Latest overhead pictures of the work: