An Altrincham church is to close its doors for good – just days after celebrating its 150th anniversary.
St John The Evangelist, on St John’s Road, is to officially close on January 2nd, although its last service will be on December 27th.
The Grade II listed church confirmed the news on its Facebook page this morning, having only recently marked its 150th year:
The church was originally opened in 1866, designed by Manchester architect J Medland Taylor, and built using four different kinds of stone with a patterned slate roof. He also designed the unusual stone font and pulpit.
Stained glass windows were gradually added over the years, some by the first vicar Rev Frederick Wainwright, who was in place for 50 years.
The church lies within the Downs conservation area. It is not yet known what will happen to the building.
We have attempted to contact the church to find out more about the reasons for the closure.