Police, Fire & Court

Man injured after trying to put out fire in Timperley house with a garden hose

By David Prior at

A man suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation after trying to put out a fire in his house using a garden hose.

Three crews from Altrincham and Wythenshawe were called to a house on Lorraine Road in Timperley shortly after 1pm on Saturday.

Firefighters found a smouldering fire in the first-floor bedroom of a semi-detached house, started by a lit candle left on the windowsill.

The family were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm and attempts were made to extinguish the blaze using a hose before firefighters arrived.

Damage was caused to the bed and mattress and two people were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

High pressure fans were used to clear smoke from the property, and crews were at the scene for an hour.

The incident led to a warning from Mark Wilson, Station Manager at Altrincham, of the dangers of homeowners tackling fires.

He said: “This is timely reminder to residents to never leave candles unattended – especially on window sills near flammable materials like curtains, decorative items and bed linen.

“Whilst attempting to tackle a fire yourself may seem like a good idea at the time, it can be very dangerous and we would never want a member of the public to put themselves in harm’s way. At this incident, a man suffered a minor burn and was treated for smoke inhalation as a result of trying to extinguish the fire.

“If you discover a fire, close the door of the room if you are able to, get out, stay out, and dial 999 to get the fire service out.”