Police, Fire & Court

Man, 20, left with bleed on brain and broken eye socket after “unprovoked” late night attack in Altrincham

By David Prior at

A 20-year-old man was left with a bleed on the brain and a broken eye socket after being attacked in Altrincham town centre on Saturday.

Ben Rowen was reportedly beaten with a golf club and his friend attacked with a broken bottle after being ambushed on Denmark Street at around 3.30am.

Ben suffered serious head injuries, including a bleed on his brain and a broken eye socket, while his friend was left with a deep cut on his arm which needed seven stitches.

Doctors are continuing to monitor Ben – who lives in Stockport but is originally from Sale – but was said by mum Claire to be “in good spirits considering”.

Police at the scene a few hours after the attack

She has also made an appeal on Facebook for help to find those responsible for the “unprovoked” attack.

“They had been in a club on Goose Green,” she was reported as saying by the MEN.

“They left and started walking towards the cinema to get a taxi. My son doesn’t remember much, but he remembers talking to one guy who was on his own waiting, then the next minute these guys got out of a taxi and jumped them.

“Ben was attacked with golf clubs, he has a bleed on his brain and a broken eye socket.

Ben, pictured in his hospital bed, suffered a bleed on the brain and a broken eye socket

“His friend was bottled in his arm needing seven stitches.”

Clare said that Ben was due to start a new job as a quantity surveyor this week but would now be unable to.

She added: “The hospital are still monitoring him and are having to do memory tests on him, but we are hoping he will be home soon.

“We just want the monsters responsible for this caught.”

Photos tweeted by Kevin Parker a few hours after the attack show forensics officers at the scene on nearby Denmark Street and Lloyd Street.

Officers investigating on Lloyd Street on Saturday morning

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police confirmed that enquiries were ongoing.

“Police were called at around 5.30am on Saturday to reports that a large scale fight happened around 3.30am that morning near to a car park on Goose Green in Altrincham,” he said.

“One man, aged 20, went to hospital with a cut to his arm and has since been discharged. Another man, also aged 20, remains in hospital with serious head injuries.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101, quoting reference number 570 of September 1.

Reports can also be made via Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.