1:1 SEN Teaching Assistant at Forest Park Preparatory School
Required for January 2019
Full Time 8.30 am – 3.45 pm (33.75 hours per week – £8.50 per hour)
Fixed Term Contract Linked to EHCP
Forest Preparatory School is seeking a highly motivated, hardworking and caring KS2 teaching assistant to support and work alongside our happy, nurturing and successful teaching staff. The role will be to work one to one, supporting a child with severe physical needs in a classroom setting and assist with their care during lunch and play times.
The ideal candidate will have a very high level and understanding of children and young people with SEN, and a formal teaching assistant qualification or equivalent. A Level 2 or 3 NVQ with previous experience in an SEN setting or with SEN children would be highly desirable.
This is an excellent opportunity for ambitious and inspiring educators who are seeking to work in an outstanding school committed to developing both its pupils and staff to achieve their full potential. The successful candidate will be subject to child protection screening, including a DBS check.
Interested applicants are encouraged to visit the school by appointment. Please contact us via or (0161 973 4835).
Closing date: Friday 16 November 4 pm
Interviews: Monday 19 November 2018
Purpose of Post:
- The role of the SEN Teaching Assistant is to provide the highest standards of care and education to the child they have been assigned to care for.
- To assist with the child’s physical needs and help her move from wheelchair to designated areas.
- To be responsible for supervision of the child and assist with her physical needs at all times, including lunch and play times.
- To provide a stable and secure environment for the child, which meets their social, emotional, intellectual and physical needs.
- To work with other staff, parents/carers and outside agencies when required.
- To work as part of a team of staff, who collectively contribute to providing positive experiences for young children, in a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment.
Headteacher and Senior Management Team
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday, 8.30 am – 3.45 pm
SEN Teaching Assistant
To work under the guidance of teaching/senior staff and within an agreed system of support and supervision for the care child. This could include assisting with learning tasks within the classroom environment as well as with manual moving and handling tasks within the wider school.
Support for pupil
- Use specialist (SEN) skills/training/experience to support care pupil with their physical and learning needs.
- Assist care pupil with manual handling tasks.
- Attend to the personal care and medical needs of the child.
- Assist with the development and implementation of EHCP.
- Establish productive working relationships with care pupil, acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils within the classroom.
- Support care pupil consistently whilst recognising and responding to their individual needs.
- Encourage care pupil to interact and work cooperatively with others and engage all pupils in activities.
- Where possible, promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievement of self-reliance.
- Provide feedback to care pupil in relation to progress and achievement.
Support for the teacher
- Work with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment.
- Work with the teacher in lesson planning, evaluating and adjusting lessons/work plans as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate care pupil responses to learning activities through observation and planned recording of achievement against predetermined learning objectives.
- Provide objective and accurate feedback and reports as required, to the teacher on pupil achievement, progress and other physical matters, ensuring the availability of appropriate evidence.
- Be responsible for keeping and updating records as agreed with the teacher and contributing to reviews of systems/records as requested.
- Promote positive values, attitudes and good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour.
- Liaise sensitively and effectively with care pupil’s parents/carers as agreed with the teacher within your role/responsibility and participate in feedback sessions/meetings with parents, agencies or as directed.
- Provide general clerical/administration support.
Support for the curriculum
- Implement agreed learning activities/teaching programmes, adjusting activities according to care pupil responses/needs.
- Support the use of ICT in learning activities and develop care pupil’s competence and independence in its use.
- Help care pupil to access learning activities through specialist support.
- Determine the need for, prepare and maintain general and specialist equipment and resources.
Support for the school
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure all pupils have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school.
- Establish constructive relationships and communicate with other agencies/professionals, in liaison with the teacher, to support achievement and progress of pupils.
- Attend and participate in regular meetings.
- Participate in training and other learning activities as required.
- Recognise own strengths and areas of expertise and use these to advise and support others.
- Provide appropriate guidance and supervision and assist in the training and development of staff as appropriate.
- Supervise pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities as required.
Forest Park Preparatory School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and expects all its staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to a full check from the Disclosure Barring Service.